Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Break: A Recap

One of my favourite things about spring break is the overload of mirrored statuses and photo captions that read, "No makeup, pjs, hair up, glasses: Spring Break 2012." As much as I agree with the aforementioned statement, why do over half of the female population on Facebook feel that it's such a cute way to kick off spring break? I, in fact, spent the majority of my spring break in my pajamas with my hair in a knot on the top of my head and my face refusing the perks of makeup. I also blasted indie rock throughout my flat and played an excessive number of board games and read a grand total of 787 pages this week. I really thought that number would be more impressive. In addition, I think I bettered myself at Mario Cart, placing in the top 4 every time, rather than pulling a sorry seventh through tenth. I officially earned one sunburn and gained three pounds: watched eight straight episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, 11 straight episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and six of the eight Harry Potter films.


I was really excited that I held the first of many board game nights on Monday night. The tiresome and grilling half an hour of grinding a 14'' pepperoni stick in a blender paid off: the dip was a hit. And I was surprised everyone showed up and had an awesome time playing Harry Potter: Scene It? and QWELF. I was so sure my team was going to win Scene It, but somehow, Ashley and Justin pulled this card and got to take the lead: finally winning the three hour long tournament. QWELF is this really awesome game consisting of weird characters like, "Mrs. Picklefeather," "The Dude," "Biscuit Farmer," and others. The point is to get around the multi-coloured spaces which correlate to a designated action card. Yellow spaces are the stunt cards; for example, one person had to make a mask out of household items. Red spaces are the scatter brainz cards, where each player writes down a word belonging to the chosen category on the card. Blue spaces correlate with the rules cards: the person who drew the card may have to talk like a pirate the entire game, or make a flush noise whenever someone performs a penalty. (Penalties are taken when a player refuses to act on their card or answers a quiz question incorrectly.) Some rules cards may be for the entire group; such as, whenever the phone rings, all players must jump up and scream "Pizza Party!" The last to perform the action takes the penalty. Green spaces are quizzle cards, asking ridiculous questions like, "Which one of these men was Reese Witherspoon not married to?" And finally, the purple cards. These cards are always the most fun: the action cards. For example, the person who draws the purple card may have to do a hula dance while singing Hawaiian music or mime taking a picture of each player while saying things like, "Work it!" "Bad kitty!" and "Show me the money!" This game was so much fun and is definitely recommended!


Now, all I want to do is have more of these themed parties. I usually have an annual Harry Potter party where guests must dress as characters or their house colours and wizard rock is played and the movies are watched with our wands out. I plan on having an Avatar: The Last Airbender themed party in May and of course, the fourth annual Harry Potter Party. I'm also working on a Hunger Games party.. but that will take an exceptional amount of planning. More details coming soon.


OH. AND THE HUNGER GAMES! I scooped up five friends and went to the midnight premier of The Hunger Games. My sister and I looked so fly in our Katniss braids and HG t-shirts:
I, along with probably a zillion others, have been waiting for this day forever. And just like a zillion others, I was nervous that the movie would not live up to standards. But I can honestly say, the movie was EXTREMELY well-crafted. I need to go see it again because I was mostly just stunned the first time I saw it. All of the characters were picked perfectly, and I really loved seeing the Gamemakers' control room. The scenery was exactly how I imagined it. Ahh, just everything about the film was beautiful. Some of the minor things that did bother me was that Katniss didn't wait in front of the fence to listen for the hum of the electricity. She kind of just dived through it without giving any regard to the possibly-humming-fence. I also didn't like that Madge wasn't the one who gave Katniss the Mockingjay pin, nor did her and Peeta put the berries in their mouths at the end of the games. I love that part because that line,
"'You didn't swallow any?' I ask him.
He shakes his head. 'You?'
'Guess I'd be dead by now if I did,' I say."
It's such a cute scene and I really wish they kept it. But other than that, everything else was just perfect and completely exceeded my expectations. Only 606 days until Catching Fire. I can do this. I can wait.


Spring Break was a success. And tomorrow it's back to the dreadful hours of class and work and I just need it to be April 26th already! I'm going to go bleeding mad.


Books read: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment