Saturday, September 17, 2011

Muggles vs. Mortals: A Comparison Between Mr. Percy and Mr. Potter

"I don't go looking for trouble; trouble usually finds me." 
~Harry Potter
"I won't go looking for trouble. I usually don't have to." 
~Percy Jackson
I finally finished The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. This 375 page fantasy novel is the first book in the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series. I don't feel like typing out a whole synopsis - but I definitely recommend it. If you're dying for a synopsis, click This Good Source for Synopses!. And if you enjoy that link, and don't have a chance to get to a library near you, click This Good Source For Online Reads! to enjoy a free online version of this book. Now, for the compare and contrast. *WARNING: THIS BLOG MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
1. The Trios - Harry, Hermione, Ron vs. Percy, Annabeth, Grover 
Harry and Percy are both heroes, both unaware of their status until they reach the appropriate age. Hermione and Annabeth are both the only female in the Trio and the brains of the group. Grover and Ron are the best friends of the heroes and eat almost anything. 
2. Half-bloods...
...Are both evident in each story and have the same meaning. One mortal parent, one magical parent. 
3. Percy vs. Harry 
a. Percy never knows of his blood father, Harry never meets his blood-parents. 
b. Both heroes grow up in bad home-conditions as children. 
c. Percy destroys his math teacher, Harry destroys his Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher in the first book of the series. 
d. Harry's dreams are connected to Voldemort's thoughts, Percy's dreams are connected to Kronos' thoughts. 
4. Harry has an invisibility cloak given to him by his father, Annabeth has an invisibility cap given to her by her mother.
5. Kronos' and Voldemort's voices are both described as cool and oily. 
6. Hogwarts and Yancy Academy are both boarding schools. 
7. Muggles and Mortals are both said to not notice magic activity. 
8. Both main characters are asked to save the world at such a young age. 
I wish I still had this book to references more similarities. Through this entire book, I kept saying to myself, "Oh my gosh, that's JUST like in Harry Potter where (fill in the blank with Harry Potter circumstance.)" BUT sadly, I dropped the book off without realizing that I still needed to write this blog. In short, if you love Harry Potter, you'll love Percy Jackson.
 SO GO READ THIS BLOODY SERIES! <3

1 comment: