Friday, February 10, 2017

Embrace the Change, Board Game Metaphors, and MySpace Quizzes

I wasn't exactly sure what to write about today. Nothing has truly inspired me: no monumental health challenge wins or political rants or crafty things. So, I think I'm just going to do a questionnaire! I haven't filled one of these out in forever, and it was all the rage back in '04. But, considering I've been  away from the blog world for a few (okay four) years, I might have new readers or maybe people just need a refresher on who I am. Maybe I need a refresher on who I am. Personality Quizzes of the early 2000's are great when you're in an identity crisis. (I'm not, but still).

So, I think four-ish years ago I did one of these posts and I'm going to copy and paste the exact quiz, with my answers from then, and then my answers from today, to compare how much I've changed, grown, matured, etc. 20-Year-Old-Me in black text, 25-Year-Old-Me in red text. Let's get to ch-ch-ch-chaaaangin.

**Disclaimer, read to the end: I promise it gets better and this interview does end, and real bloggy-stuff begins.
1. What was the highlight of your week?
The Big Ticket! A 12 hour music festival of back-to-back bands consisting of Paper Tongues, Grouplove, Of Monsters and Men, FUN., Rise Against, Anberlin, Silversun Pickups, Flogging Molly, and like, a bajillion others. It was nonstop madness and I had an absolute BLAST! Ahhh, I love music festivals. -This week, the highlight was a 67*, sunny day in February!!!! All about the simpler pleasures these days, I suppose. 
2. Whose car were you in last?
Mine! -Still true.
3. When is the next time you will kiss someone?
On the evening of December 13th when I'm reunited with Andrew! WOOH! -Tonight, when the Then-Boyfriend-Now-Hubs gets home.
4. What color shirt are you wearing?
Not wearing a shirt. ;) Mmmm. Jk. Totally wearing a yellow dress. -What? Did I really write that? Anyway, blue sweater. 
5. How long is your hair?
I guess to my chest..... -About the same.
6. Are you good looking?
You know it. I be one hawt chicca. Boiis be breakin' der neckks. -Gosh, I hope I was being sarcastic. What in the world. I probably lost at least 10 followers on this question. And yes, I find myself beautiful inside and out. 
7. Last movie you watched?
BRAVE! And it was bloody fantastic. I knew I should've bought it on Black Friday. -Moana? Well, my love for current Disney films hasn't changed. 
8. Who were you with?
The two kiddies I was babysitting.  -Husband of Mine. 
9. Last thing you ate?
Goldfish, ya'll! -A lil cutie!
10. Last thing you drank?
Dat Desani. -Water.
11. When was the last time you had your heart broken?
I guess like, almost 2 years ago. But I quickly healed! <3 -Gosh, what? 7 years ago? Time flies when you're in love.
12. Who came over last?
Eric? -Scott.
13. Are you happy right now?
I'd be happier if I were listening to good music opposed to the droning of my weather professor in the background. -Look how rebellious I was. Blogging whilst class-ing. And yes! The joy of the Lord is my strength! 
14. What did you say last?
"No, I meant that we have to endure the conflicts in order to achieve greatness later on." -That's good stuff, I might use that some time. And I believe I said, "I love you, bye."
15. Where is your phone?
In front of me, on this desk. -Next to me, on this arm rest.
16. What color are your eyes?
Blue/green/gold -Blue/green/gold
17. Are you left-handed?
Nah. -Nah.
18. Spell your name without vowels:
Shl -Shl Nll Strk 
19. Do you have any pets?
No. I'd like a tiny turtle though. Or a puppy-sized elephant. -Little Caaaaaat    >^._.^<
20. Favorite Vacation?
Last Christmas in the Northeast! I love dead trees. -Honeymoon in Saint Martin. I love palm trees.
21. What do you dislike currently?
How much CRAP I have to do between this week and next. -This cold weather D:
22. What are you listening to?
I should be listening to this weather lecture... -Still rebellious, I see. And the whispering, low roar of the fireplace.
23. If you could have one thing right now what would it be?
Andrew. Always. -Oh my goodness, so sweet. Still true, but I really want buttery popcorn at the cinema. 
24. What is your favorite scent?
Italian food and gasoline. Nice combination. -What?? Eucalyptus, laundered clothes, and popcorn. (I think I just really want popcorn.)
25. Who makes you happiest?
Sigh, Andrew gets this one again. -Still true.

Well, I got bored. This quiz was originally NINETY questions. Honestly, we had so much time on our hands and attention-spans in our heads to complete 90 questions about ourselves. How. HOW!? I deleted the rest of the questions because a) I couldn't handle my 20-Year-Old-Me answers anymore and b) the constant highlighting and changing of text color was really starting to irritate me. Most of my answers have changed except for a few. Looking back at 20-Year-Old-Me, I realized two things: 1) I really had a love for making music, something I never do anymore. 2) I miss college and 3) Why did I spend so long answering 90 questions about myself. 

Anyway, moral of the blog: change is good. Disney Channel stars used to do this thing where they'd give advice to their viewers, and like, 95% of them said, "Don't ever change." Also, I think we wrote this a lot in school yearbooks. But honestly, could you imagine not ever changing? I don't mean physically; obviously, that would be weird. But I mean, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, and all of the other adjectives ending in "l-y." I think for a lot of us, change is scary. Change means different. Change means unknown and waves and uncertainty. But looking back, it's good, and we have to remember that we are not here without purpose. Everything is connected and everything happens for a reason. Life throws obstacles and setbacks and hardships; it makes you question your existence and what is the point of it all? No, fellow Life-Walker, it's not fair. We're not going to pass GO and collect $200 every time. Sometimes we're going to get thrown in jail. (Metaphorically, speaking, of course) and sometimes the LIFE token says, "Give all of your money to the player to your left." 

The point is: all of this bad, all of this change, it eventually turns into good change. It shapes us, makes us stronger, helps us figure out how to better manage our money, or multi-task, or protect our hearts from the ones who seek to hurt us. 

Embrace the change now, even if it seems scary and uncertain and even dark. Your purpose is bigger than you know; it's bigger than any of us know. And five years from now, when you're reading your own blog, you'll think, "I'm so glad for the change, because I couldn't bear to think of me still wearing those rainbow suspenders." 



Books read: 2 3/4

No comments:

Post a Comment