Friday, February 3, 2017

January Whole30 Wrap-Up & Other Success Things

IT'S FEBRUARY THIRD! That means, that today is weigh-in day for me and the hubs after an entire 30 days of eating only fruits, veggies, meats, fish, nuts, and seeds! And almond butter. Always almond butter. We also tried really hard to go to the gym as much as our tired, detoxed little bodies would have, and I think we did fairly well. Workouts became more fun and energizing, rather than a nuisance and just completely draining. Our sleeping patterns were more steady and uninterrupted, and the days of after-meal bloats, nausea, and lethargy are gone! 

And to all of the readers who are saying, "Just get to the point! How much did you lose?!" Well, anxious reader, I'm not going to come out with it. The number is just a number. (It's a happy number, I will say that.) But I look and feel better than I ever have: emotionally, physically, mentally...and that means so much more to me than the number on the scale. 

We are so focused on the numbers sometimes, that we don't think about the other gains we achieve! We lose pounds, but gain strength. We lose inches, but gain confidence. We lose fat, but gain the ability to cook those darn-and-once-nasty-brussel sprouts the best way, ever, and now they're our favorite go-to! The point is, we can't get focused on just the numbers: the "goal weight;" the "goal salary;" the "goal-number, number, number." And I just don't want to focus on that anymore! I want to focus on the things I've gained and earned while reaching that number. I want to look at myself in the mirror and say, "Wow, God created something beautiful in me, and I am proud of it." 

But enough of the straight-talk. I have other little wins for the month of January besides scale and non-scale victories! Like a): broadening my TV show watching experience out of the HGTV bubble, (aka: The Crown, Once Upon a Time, & House of Cards - Go watch them all now. Seriously.) and b) keeping up with my bullet journal and expanding on my creative skills everyday! I'm super, super in love with how it's coming out and I am honestly really proud of myself for not forgetting about it and letting it fall apart. (Both the goal and the journal.) It's keeping my life in order in the most beautifully, creative way possible! And that makes me happy. I also have to pride myself on my meal prep and planning skills: they have come along way from the first round of Whole30 we did: steak and baked potato and steamed vegetable. Or some sort of dry chicken breast. Super thankful to Pinterest and Instagram and other Whole30 Veterans who just have this overflowing cornucopia of delicious, compliant foods that I would have never even dreamt of. And also major thanks to my husband for being my go-to Meat-Preparer. (One of these days I'll get over my raw-meat aversion. Seriously, I just freeze up and it's like I'm paralyzed by the thought  of having to turn that strangely slimy, salmonella-filled, and squishy pile of pink into a meal.) And also, I guess this is turning into an acceptance speech where I'm thanking all of my resources for helping me along this healthy road to my success. (????)

Which brings me to thank the most important one of all: my God. Without His strength and me relying on Him every day to get me through the days when I JUST WANTED PIZZA FOR PETE'S SAKE, and the days when the detox mood-swings were at their worst and I wanted to give up, I prayed. I prayed for strength, and to not be led into the temptation of the bad foods. I prayed for the freedom from food's grip that it had on me. Happy: eat. Sad: eat. Celebrating: eat. Mourning: eat. Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat. Well, gone are the days of me being a little, "Is-there-any-more?"-Pooh-Bear! 

So, I encourage anyone who feels trapped by food to try the Whole30 program. It's life changing, if you want to change your life. And if you want to expand on your creative side, start a bullet journal! And if you're tired of watching seventy three different ways to flip a flopped house, go watch House of Cards. Seriously, Frank Underwood for freakin' President. 



Books read: 2/26

No comments:

Post a Comment