Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"I Vaant to Eat My Chapsteek!"

I know fall officially started on September 23rd and that I should have posted an I-Love-Fall post on the 23rd, but I just feel that fall shouldn't officially begin until October 1st in Florida. I know this sounds incredibly hypocritical of me, considering I've been preparing for the holiday season since August. I was caught playing the ever-faithful Christmas radio station on Pandora and yes, I was mocked without mercy.  But I've seriously been obsessing. I've watched Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown(s) 1 & 2, The Scream Team, Don't Look Under the Bed, and Tower of Terror. Oh, and the Johnny Bravo Meets Scooby-Doo episode. I also have this really delicious Fall-Fusion chapstick that tastes like pumpkin and vanilla and if I were three or really desperate, I would definitely be eating it right now. In addition, I tossed around the idea of decorating my cubicle in Halloween spirit, but decided against it for "professional" purposes. 
It's that time again where Ashli confesses a part of herself that no one thought true - but I'm a major wimp when it comes to scary movies. (I had nightmares about Edward Scissorhands, [which apparently is a love story?] for weeks.) But with the hurricane we had last weekend, and Halloween upon us, I took it upon myself to gather the courage and watch the Scream Trilogy. During the day, with my sister awake next to me, and popcorn to semi-occupy me, I was completely okay with Scream & Scream 2. But when my sister fell asleep, and the day grew into 2AM, and I couldn't pack any more popcorn kernels into my teeth, I was terrified throughout Scream 3. My eyes were shut most of the movie, and before I went to sleep, I had to run to my room, turn on all of the lights, and watch Aladdin to take my mind off of it. I also thought my dad's jacket hanging in the garage was going to kill me. It's really, really pathetic. But I'm definitely sticking to Halloweentown from now on... o.O  

Besides the decorations, colours, movies, costumes, candy, and chapstick, the fall runs of all of my favourite shows resume! 
I usually stick to the same shows or don't watch telly at all because either the shows I love get cancelled, or they're absolutely horrible. But, I branched out this fall. (Pardon the pun.)
New show: Pan-Am (ABC, Sunday nights, 10PM) When I was first introduced to this show, I thought it was going to be some lame airline documentary. (Pardon the ERAU blasphemy). But it's the most un-documentaryesque show. Set in the early 1960's with flashbacks to the 1950's, the show draws out what it was like to fly Pan-Am, be a stewardess for Pan-Am, and your occasional Cold War conspiracy. The majority of ABC dramas all have that "ABC touch" - and it's very similar to the styling of LOST with the flashbacks, and the secrets, and how the island airline brought all of these very different people with very different backgrounds together, and each story is released a little bit more as each episode goes on. I'm 4 episodes in and I'm absolutely hooked. I definitely recommend this show. 
Oldie but Goodie: CASTLE! (ABC, Monday nights, 10PM) I've been with this show since it aired in 2009. The best way I can describe it, is it's your classic crime scene investigation show with less melodramatic acting, more humour, an underdeveloped love story, and the "ruggedly handsome," Nathan Fillion. Last season ended with the most intense finale *SPOILER* with Detective Kate Beckett being shot and Castle telling her he loves her (FINALLY). The premier was just as intense. And so far, I have yet to be disappointed. There's been super villains, Shakespeare, disappearing bodies..AH. I recommend this show in a heartbeat. <3
New Flop: Terra Nova (Fox, Monday nights, 8PM) I was so excited for this show because anything that has to do with a dystopian society trying to reach utopia interests me. Plus, it has dinosaurs. I could have not wanted to eat my words more than after seeing the season premier. The writing is poorly done: your typical corny humor and really bad acting. And where a child getting a scratch on his/her knee calls for the S.W.A.T team to investigate. And there's ALWAYS a power-hungry, "men-suck", blood-thirsty woman, who always speaks in sarcasm and downgrades the male species with her ability to shoot 36 different targets at one time. There's so many flaws to this show, I can't even list them all. Last week, it was Attack of the Birds at Terra Nova, and among the pecking and scratching, one poor soul was knocked unconscious and rolled away on a gurney equipped with oxygen mask. I was informed that perhaps the victim was allergic to birds and that's why he was in need of oxygen, but I'm still convinced it was another one of Fox's ploys for a dramatic moment. I will say though, the only thing this show has going for it is it's indefatigable way to keep giving me reasons to laugh and mock the show. And it gives me something to do every Friday night because a few of my friends and my sister get together, and over our pizza, drop jaws at the man who just fell 500 feet flat on his back on a pile of thorns and manages to miraculously stand up quick on his feet, without a scratch to his back. It's remarkable. If it isn't obvious, I don't recommend this show. Unless you really enjoy commentating on poor writing and lack of acting talent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment